Did you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month? No?
Well, it is!! And in lieu of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, lets celebrate our boobs by talking about some pretty interesting facts you probably didn’t know about the twins. Boobs are more than just something for men to gawk at and feeding apparatus’. They truly amazing parts of the body that don’t get much credit these days.
Here are 11 interesting facts about boobs that you probably didn’t know.
- Men have nipples and breasts because all fetuses are female at first. That’s right! Every fetus starts as female, and it isn’t until six weeks that the testosterone starts to take hold. But even before the six-week mark, nipples and breasts are already part of the body. And men thought they were the superior species 😉
- Scientists seriously do not know why women have full breasts all the time. Primates have full breasts only when they are breastfeeding and then they quickly go back to normal afterwards. But human breasts appear full even when we’re not breastfeeding. There’s a ton of theories as to why this is. One happens to be about how our full breasts are similar to the round and bright red butt cheeks of our app ancestors…Not sure how to fell about that one…
- There are eight different types of nipples. Varieties include normal, flat, puffy and inverted.
An estimated 80% of women are wearing the wrong bra size. Go get yourself measured!
- Smokers have saggier boobs than non-smokers due to the chemicals in cigarettes breaking down the body’s elasticity. Another reason to quit smoking.
- Breastfeeding can help in finding your crying baby in a crowd. Therefore, mother’s who breastfeed are more attuned to their child’s cry. Talk about having some built in GPS.
- Dating tip! A 2013 study showed that men who preferred LARGE boobs were LESS financially stable. Men who fancied SMALLER boobs were MORE financially stable. Who would have thought!?
- You know how they say, women are never satisfied? Well, when it comes to our boobs, we definitely are never satisfied. Did you know 70% of women are unhappy with their boobs? According to the International Journal of Sexual Health women either feel their breasts are too small or too big. Whats that saying, “all it takes is a handful“, or something like that right?
- Meet our cover model Annie Hawkins (aka Norma Stitz). She is recorded in the Guinness World Records as the Woman with the Largest Natural Breasts. Thought your DD cup was heavy…think again! Annie wears a 52 I cup, but by American bra calculations she should be in a 48 V cup. And of course, those aren’t manufactured!
- Breastfeeding not up your alley? Don’t worry you can sub out a goat. Whaaa? Back in the day, if women didn’t want to breastfeed they would have to sub out a goat or wet nurse.
There over 2.8 million breast cancer survivors alive in the United States today. That’s something we can all celebrate!!!
Talking about boobs can be a lot of fun…as you can see. But the reality of it is, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in our lifetime. Every 2 minutes, a woman somewhere is being told the news that she has breast cancer. We can help spread the awareness and prevention of breast cancer with regular screenings and early detection. KNOW YOUR BODY! Did you know that most women don’t do self breast exams? That’s part of early detection. If you would like to check out more information on this, please check out the National Breast Cancer website for more!